19 February 2010

Gnocchi with Basil Pesto


Gnocchi
1 kilo potatoes (33 oz)
200 grams flour (13 oz)
2 egg yolks
salt

Wash the potatoes and cook with the skin in salted water; then peel and mash them.


When the potatoes are cold, work on a table and add the flour and salt. Only add the eggs if the potatoes are holding together. You can add more flour, too, if necessary, but the less the better. Form a type of dough without kneading too much. Roll out into "snakes" (it's kinda like play-dough) and cut into little pieces. Make lines using the tines of a fork.

Also, you can toss them in flour so they don't stick together.
This makes them much easier to handle.

Once the gnocchi are ready, cook them quickly in salted boiling water (saved from boiling the potatoes). As soon as they float to the top, they are ready.


Then toss in pesto (ricette [recipe] below) without reheating if possible, when pesto gets hot the basil turns darker.


Basil Pesto
60 fresh basil leaves
60 grams (2 oz) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
90 grams (3 oz) blend of Grana Padano, Pecorino Romano and Parmesan grated cheese
30 grams (1 oz) pine nuts
1 garlic clove
salt to taste

Brush clean the basil leaves.
Put in a blender or food processor the cheese, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil and mix to a creamy consistency. You can always add extra olive oil. Add basil and blend as little as possible- you want the basil leaves to stay a pretty green. Add salt to taste.

Enjoy! This is probably one of mine and Katie's favorites.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe I can try this recipe this week. I'll let you know if it turns out for me. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way...the comment above is from me. Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of potatoes did you use? may be a dumb question but...I do want to try this soon. And please keep finding time to post because there are those of us who are sooo enjoying this. Mrs.Kathy

    I hope you are able to hear today's sermon soon..I cannot imagine anyone hearing such and not being affected. Truly powerful. We missed you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm we used Russet(ish) potatoes. You can also substitute part of the potatoes for any other starchy vegetable. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds exciting. And I don't know why he said to cook the potatoes with the skin on, I think in order to ensure the outside of the potato doesn't cook too much faster than the inside. I would think quartering them would have the same effect, but I'm not one to question the centuries of Italian tradition. We'll do the potatoes like they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little fuzzy about the eggs. Add them only if needed or only after the potatoes are holding together??? Need a little clarification there. Thanks, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how my mama and your mama are using their innocent offsprings' blogger names instead of going to the tremendous trouble of typing in their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, add the eggs only if you need them. It will hold together without them, they just make it simpler. You want the consistency to be about that of playdough or breaddough, so if the egg yolks help you achieve that, they're allowed, but the closeest you can stay to just potatoes, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie, I will have to plead ignorance...Google only seems to accept one name per email address, and Hugh got it first. I'm confident there is a way around this; I'm also confident that I don't know it. Open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I've heard of gnocchi before (pretty much only from Top Chef, which I used to be obsessed with and only got over because I have no way of watching it now, boo), but I definitely didn't know it was Italian. Silly me. What does it taste like by itself? I'm sure I would love anything doused in pesto, but I wonder about the taste/consistency of just the gnocchi.

    I'm very tempted to try it. The pictures have tempted me... the words alone just freaked me out. Mainly because prolonged contact with potatoes equals that repulsive gritty feeling all over my hands. I will have to be strong, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds SOO good! I'll have to try it!!!!


    ~Hannah~

    ReplyDelete